Go Green This Fall
Go Green This Fall
By: Aaron Newport
The leaves are turning and the nights are getting cooler, grab a hoodie and light the fire pit. As we step into fall, there are plenty of daily activities we can be conscience of in order to remain green, even as the leaves out side do not. Every little bit counts so keep these five behaviors in mind as you enjoy the fall weather over the next couple of months.
- Turn your thermostat down.
- The perfect temperature for your heating system to work most efficiently is 68 degrees. For some folks that may be a little chilly, but try throwing on sweats or grab a blanket. It’s cozier that way anyway!
- Rake your leaves.
- There are two reason this is beneficial to the environment. First of all, using an electric or gas leaf blower uses a lot of energy and using less energy wherever possible is always best practice. Secondly, you can reuse the leaves by transforming them into mulch for your plants or compost them to enrich your soil.
- Visit your local farmer.
- Fall is the time when many foods are in their prime. So find a location where you can take the family and pick your own apples, pumpkins, and various root vegetables. You’ll be supporting your local farmer and creating fun memories for the kiddos.
- Donate old clothes.
- As with any season change, you are sure to be sorting through your wardrobe, bringing out your fall and winter attire and putting away your summer outfits. Make sure you are donating anything that is still wearable that does not work for you anymore. You would be helping a family in need, as well as not contributing to the ever growing fashion landfills.
- Use GreenEarth Cleaning!
- And when you do pull out your favorite winter clothes, coats, blankets, etc, they may need a good cleaning to freshen them up for fall. Take them to the dry cleaner nearest to you that is using GreenEarth Cleaning in their store. GreenEarth Cleaning is proven to be environmentally non-toxic, much more gentle on fabrics so your garments will look newer longer, and has absolutely no odor so your clothes will smell clean not dry cleaned. If you are not sure who or where that cleaner may be, check out our store locator and we will point you in the right direction!