A Green NFL
A Green NFL
By: Ron Benjamin
Football season is back! And with it comes the NFL’s ongoing commitment to sustainability.
Over the past couple of years, the NFL has been greening up their efforts. Primary visibility surrounds their Super Bowl environmental program consisting of four main initiatives:
- Solid waste management/recycling
- The specific goal of this initiative is to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills.
- Prepared food recovery
- All extra prepared food from Super Bowl events is collected and donated
- Materials donation
- Decorative materials, building materials, office supplies and other reusable items are collected and donated to local nonprofit organizations.
- Sports Equipment and Book Donation
- Students are asked to bring their reusable items to their schools in the weeks prior to the game. These items are then collected and redistributed to schools and youth organizations who need them.
The NFL knows their customers and how to best position the positive contributions the NFL is making. Perhaps we in the dry cleaning industry should a page out of the NFL’s playbook.
Why not create and/or add our own environmental programs in our locations? Solid waste reduction, recycling of donated school supplies and school clothes, making gently used clothes available to local non-profits for redistribution to those who need them and other similar programs can put our organizations in an even better view by the public. With GreenEarth, you are already walking the walk. With some new extra initiatives, like the NFL, you can put your sustainability reputation in an even greener light!