Love Your Leather Jacket Longer
Name a more timeless wardrobe staple than a leather jacket. We’ll wait…
Some of the first modern leather jackets were worn by members of the military in the early 1900s for protection against the elements. In the latter half of the 20th century, the garment was popularized by Hollywood stars and quickly became the very essence of “cool.” While long appreciated for their practicality, leather jackets have been a cornerstone of fashion for decades—and they’re not going anywhere.
To ensure your leather jacket remains forever in style, it needs meticulous cleaning and care. Unlike everyday garments, leather pieces shouldn’t just be cleaned when they get dirty. Caring for these investments is a matter of maintenance.
With a quick Google search, you’ll find all sorts of tips and tricks for DIY leather cleaning. Regularly conditioning your leather on your own is beneficial, but for a deeper clean, it’s best left to the professionals. There’s a higher risk of doing more harm than good with an at-home approach.
GreenEarth cleaners should be your go-to source when it comes to looking after your leather garments. As you’ve read from us before, our environmentally non-toxic system of care is not only better for the planet, but it’s also just better for fabrics—and that includes leather. Unlike traditional dry cleaning methods, GreenEarth cleans gently, returning items fresh and rejuvenated. For your beloved leather jacket, that translates to restoring the natural skin’s soft and supple feel. And if your piece has additional embellishments like fringe, embroidery, painted designs, etc.? That’s no problem either! Because GreenEarth isn’t abrasive or aggressive, there’s no worry of leaching dyes or damaging trims.
Aside from cleaning, many of our Affiliates also include restoration, alterations, and repairs as part of their leather services, providing you with comprehensive care so you can continue to enjoy and cherish your leathers for years to come.
GreenEarth cleaners are truly the best in the business—and a treasured garment like a leather jacket only deserves the best. With a combination of knowledge, expertise, and state-of-the-art care, you can have peace of mind that your investment is being left in the most skilled and capable hands.
To find a cleaner near you, head to our Store Locator.
A few tips to consider in between professional cleanings:
- Leather conditioner keeps leather soft and pliable as well as helps it repel water. Condition your leather at least four times a year, or more if it’s regularly exposed to rain or sun.
- Avoid spraying hairspray, perfume, or cologne while wearing your leather.
- Always hang leather garments on padded hangers to help retain their shape.
- Keep leather items stored out of direct sunlight. Natural skins will fade over time, but sunlight will speed up that process substantially.
- Never store leather in plastic or non-breathable covers. It could cause the leather to dry out and lose its integrity. Instead, use a fabric garment bag or even cover the item with an old sheet for long-term storage.